
I wasnt going to blog about this topic. But when I started reading some journals this morning I read two other journals of people who have lost their parents many years ago. I guess I just needed to know Im not the only one that still remembers like it was yesterday. That Im not the only one that still brings them up in conversations and relived memories of my childhood.
Today is the day that my mother Lillian Hutchison passed away, January 10, 1984. She was 54. I was only 14 years old a freshman in high school. I still remember that day vividly. My mother was a stay at home mom. She didnt work after she married my father. He was the provider of the family. I remember she did dishes by hand...we had no dishwasher. She did alot of wash by hand and hung them on the clothesline in the backyard....we had no washer or dryer. She did go to the laundrymat once a week also. She always kept a clean house and had dinner ready every night. She made our beds everyday. I was very spoiled in the regard that I never had to do any chores. All I had to do was go to school and get good grades. She was a great mother and Im sad that I never got to thank her for taking such good care of me. I cannot believe it has been 25 years!!!
After she passed away that left me with my father and my older sister who is 7 years older than me, she was already out of the house. My father was an amazing man. Nothing skipped a beat after my mother passed away. He was already semi-retired. He was David P. Hutchison, A.O.C. (Aviaition Ordiance Chief) United States Navy, he served 22 years. He was more than capable of taking care of things. He continued to cook, clean, and take care of the house. Still as a teenage girl I was never expected to help out at home although I did choose to do so on occassion. I remember going through a rebellious stage after my mother died. We made it through the teenage years and then I became a very young mom at the age of 20. My father continued to love me and support me no matter what decisions I made. We became so close I was able to talk to him about anything!!! I was 6 months pregnant with my third child, my daughter Danyelle when he passed away from cancer on January 8th, 1998. He was 69 years old.
It took me a long time to get over it, actually I dont think I am. There are certain things that still make me cry when I think of my father. One of the things we use to do on a yearly basis was go to the Air Shows. He was in aviation in the Navy and knew so much about all the planes. It was his passion. So every year we would go and we especially loved to watch the Blue Angels. It was so much fun. I loved hearing his stories and I was amazed at all his knowledge about flying. I have not been able to bring myself to an air show since.
My parents are both buried in Long Beach, CA where I was born and raised. It is about 2 hours from where I live now. I really should drive out there and pay my respects.
This is such a very true quote.......and I do understand now what sacrifices, love, and strength it takes in raising children. I owe them so much for giving me the unconditional love and respect that they gave me as a child....
I miss you mom and dad.......
LIZ <3
5 comments:
Thinking of you today...
Will light a candle In Memory of your parents also...
Wish I could give you a big hug...I am glad you wrote about them today...to me it helps to write about loved ones we have lost...I hope in some way it gave you some comfort..in knowing you are not alone...we are here for you always!
My FIL passed away from cancer and also my Aunt ..she was only 43yrs old...we buried her on her 44th birthday..she too had a daughter who was only 14yrs old when she passed...I can't imagine how hard it must be losing a parent at that age...I am so sorry for your loss!
Big Hugs
Terri
i lost my dad when i was 18,time goes fast.doesnt seem 38 years ago,i am sorry for your loss.take care love mort xx
BEAUTIFUL TRIBUTE TO YOUR PARENTS...I LOST MY MUM ON MAY 28TH 2003 ON MY 25TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY....
Wonderful entry. Yes, we never quite get over the loss of our parents. I miss mine every day.
Hugs, Joyce
my mom died at age 32, in 1970 of cancer, she left behind 6 kids ages 9,7,5,4,2,11mos. my dad raised us alone. many members of his family tried to get him to put us up for adoption, but he didn't, he raised us. he died in 2005 of an accidental drowning. I am sorry you lost your parents. my prayers are with you. (((hugs)))
Cindy
Post a Comment